Deposit for break in service?


Q. I am a permanent career employee who resigned from my position due to my husband’s job relocation.  Because of that, I experienced a five-year break in service and returned to federal service to my permanent position. Prior to my resignation, I was under FERS with 17 years of service. I did not receive a refund for my contributions after I resigned.  I am currently under FERS. I would like to know if there is any way I can make a retirement deposit for my five-year break in service?

A. No, there isn’t.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply