Creditable service


Q. I am working as a contractor in the PEIR Group for MSHA doing highly confidential and complex work. The position is supposed to convert to a government assignment in the coming months. What is the best strategy or documentation to use to negotiate for years of credited service for my industry expertise that makes me uniquely qualified for this work?

A. There is no provision in law that would allow you to get credit for your private-sector experience in determining your years of service.

However, at the sole discretion of your agency, you could get additional credit for leave accrual purposes. See

I’m not in a position to advise you on how to make your case for that.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply