Special retirement supplement


Q. If I am eligible for the special retirement supplement when I retire from federal service, must I apply for the supplement with the Social Security Administration? Or will it be automatically received as a part of my retirement package?

A. You’ll automatically receive the special retirement supplement; however, it won’t be paid until your annuity is finalized. Then it will be retroactive to the first month in which it was due. P.S. Unless you are 62 years old when you retire, you wouldn’t be filing anything with the Social Security Administration. If you were, you wouldn’t be entitled to the SRS.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply