State employment and creditable service


Q. I have 21 years of FERS employment and, before working for the government, I had seven years with Florida Retirement System, working for state government. I recently heard that my previous state government work might be creditable with my current government employment. Can I file for my credit of service from the state retirement system to credit to my federal government work? I still have about three more years before I am 63 and able to retire.

A. What you heard was incorrect. State or local government service is never creditable for retirement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply