Redeposit eligibility


Q. I was a federal employee from 1993 to 2001. When I separated, I withdrew my FERS contributions. I am now contemplating re-entering the federal workforce and have read about the redeposit option. However, I read an Office of Personnel Management guidance memo that implies that redeposit is only applicable for FERS employees who separated after October 2009. What are my options? Can I buy back time in service?

A. What you read is correct. You had to be separated on or after Oct. 28, 2009, to be eligible to make a redeposit when you were re-employed.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I worked for the VA from 1991-97 and withdrew my deductions, I returned to VA in 2014 and made a redeposit, so I am unclear about that you had to be separated ” on of after 2009″, can you clarify? thank you Debra

    • For most of its existence, there was no provision allowing FERS employees who left and withdrew their retirement contributions and later returned to service to recapture that time by making a redeposit. However, Public Law 111-84 amended 5 U.S.C. 8422 to allow FERS employees to recapture service time by redepositing that money if they separated on or after October 28,2009.

Leave A Reply