Q. I transferred from CSRS to FERS in 1999. I was employed by the Department of the Interior from 1981 to 1987 and then the Justice Department since 1987. During my DOI time, I had temporary employment from 1981 to 1983, at which time I didn’t pay retirement. I still need to buy back my time for that credit. Will the time be credited as CSRS or FERS time?

A. It will be credited to the CSRS component of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply