Service computation date


 Q. I left federal service in 2008 and was rehired in 2011. My service computation date was set up to reflect the two years I left service. I would like to get that time back and keep my original service computation date. What regulation is being referenced, and whom do I speak with about taking care of this?

A. There is no regulation you can reference and no one you can speak to. That’s because there’s nothing you can do to reclaim that period of time when you weren’t an employee.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply