Alternative form of annuity


Q. I’m early into my Defense Department employment, and my position is permanent. Due to various medical conditions, it is highly unlikely I shall survive to retirement age. Is it possible to get a medical exemption from FERS, so that I would actually be able to spend that money?

A. No, there isn’t. To be eligible to apply for the alternative form of annuity, you’d have to be eligible to retire on a nondisability annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply