Special retirement supplement


Q. I’m planning to retire next year under FERS with 30 years of service and I’m eligible for the special retirement supplement. Please explain where the Social Security application process fits — i.e., at what point do I apply to Social Security? Concurrently with FERS? Must I wait for both applications to be approved before I’m considered officially retired?

A. The special retirement supplement is paid out of the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund. It will automatically be paid to you when your retirement application is finalized. That payment will be retroactive to the first month you were entitled to an annuity.

Because the SRS ends when you reach age 62, a few months before that happens, you can go to https://secure.ssa.gov/iCLM/rib and apply for a Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply