Q. Will my high-3 (already met) computation for retirement purposes be affected if I accept a lower-grade job at another agency, say from Army to the Department of Homeland Security? Can an agency allow “saved pay” if I accept a lower-grade job?

A. Yes, it would affect your high-3. While there is no provision for saved pay in a move between agencies, you could negotiate with them to set a rate that’s nearer to the one you are leaving. It would be entirely up to them to decide if bringing you onboard is worth the additional cost.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply