High-3 from 2 agencies


Q. I transferred from the Department of Homeland Security, where my high-3 salary was met as a GS-14 in a covered position, to a Defense Department position where I earn substantially less as a GS-13. Will my high-3 from DHS be used to compute my FERS annuity or the high-3 from DoD? Two different pay systems, USDA and DFAS. Does the Office of Personnel Management access each to determine high-3?

A. Your high-3 will be based on your highest three consecutive years of average basic pay (78 pay periods), whenever and wherever they occur in your career.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply