Civil service redeposit


Q. My wife was told she could apply for a redeposit of service credit funds. The state agency she worked for has a program that let’s her file for retirement on funds she withdrew. This program will then take a portion of her monthly retirement to repay the withdrawn amount. I worked for the Defense Department civil service from 1977-1991 but withdrew all funds. Does the civil service retirement system have a similar program?

A. No, it doesn’t. You could only redeposit that money if you returned to work for the federal government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply