FICA taxes


Q. I have 56 years with 31 years of federal service under FERS and TSP. A friend tells me that we will have to pay Social Security FICA after we retire at age 56. Is this correct?

A. The only way that could happen is if you were employed in a job from which Social Security taxes were deducted. FICA taxes are never deducted from an annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply