Break in service


Q. I am a federal employee with 26 years of service. I have been enrolled in FEHB for 5 years. I am considering taking a break in service to stay at home with my children. If I return to work before my MRA and obtain the remaining 3 1/2 years of service can I retire with full benefits including my FERS supplement and FEHB?

A. Yes, you can.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply