Buy back military time


Q. In 1999, I resigned from federal service. At that time, I had not completed my Military Buyback for credit. I requested and received a lump sum payment of what I had paid in. I was told at that time that if I returned to federal service, I could not buy back my military time again. In 2001, I returned to federal service and I will be planning on retiring in five to 10 years and need to clarify if I can buy my military time back the second time. In addition, can I buy back any civil service credible service from 1993 to 1999?

A. What you were told wasn’t true. According to OPM, there isn’t any reason why you can’t reapply and pay the deposit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply