Buying back time


Q. I’m 70 percent disabled and did 13 years, 11 months, but force reduction got me out. Would I be able to buy back my time working at the federal bureau of prisons? 

A. If you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, you’d be entitled to a deferred annuity at age 62. If you did receive a refund, the only way you could redeposit that money would be to return to work for the federal government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply