Annuity time frame


Q. Can a person receive an annuity if she works for more than five years in the federal government?
A. Yes, any employee who is age 62 or older would be entitled to an immediate annuity. If that person left government after five years and didn’t receive a refund of his or her retirement contributions, he or she would be entitled to a deferred annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply