Recrediting sick leave


Q. Back in 2002, I went on LWOP due to PCS. It expired in 2003, and a month later, I was picked back up at a job and told that I could not have my sick leave reinstated. How can I find out if I am still eligible to have mine looked at and reinstated?

A. Unless you are a Postal Service employee, you are entitled to have your sick leave reinstated and credited to your account, regardless of how long your break in service was. If you are a U.S. Postal Service employee, that rule only applies if the break in service was less than three years.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply