Self Plus One


Q. How do I sign-up for Self Plus One?

A. If you are an employee, you’ll use the Standard Form 2809. Since it hasn’t been updated to include that option, you’ll instead write down the name of the other person who is to be covered under your Self Plus One enrollment. Your agency personnel office can show you how to do that. If you are a retiree, OPM will already have sent you a form explaining how to make that election by phone or online.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply