Suspending FEHB coverage


Q. I am turning 65 in February 2016. I currently carry the FEHB BCBS plan for my family. I want to suspend my FEHB until my husband turns 65 and carry his employer s plan for the family until then. However, I can’t find that option on FEHB Form 2809 or Form RI 79-9. I have been retired for several years and need to make this change before the end of open season. Can I do this without incurring Medicare penalties or losing my right to lift the suspension and claim FEHB health benefits at a later date?

A. You can’t suspend your FEHB coverage. You can only cancel it. However, if you did cancel it, you wouldn’t be able to reenroll at a later date.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply