About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. Rick Brandenburg on

    I am a Marine and Army veteran with 5 years of active duty. I worked at the VA as a Nurse on 2 occasions. First from Feb 1988 to Oct. 1991. Then left Federal service. I accepted the FERS payout at the time, which is unfortunate. But came back to work at the VA again in Jan. 2002 and stayed until August 2004. I paid my Military Service deposit, over $2900.00 and have over $881.00. in FERS, But that only covers the periods 2002-2004. I wasn’t given the option to repay the FERS from previous employment. I would have over 11 years of federal service but not now.A lawyer says I should be able to repay back FERS from Feb-Oct 1991, it comes to $446.00. I would be glad to repay it. What say you? The H.R. people at the VA ensured me when I left I could apply for a Deferred Annuity that I had the time, but now I found out his week that wasn’t true. As late as 2013 a OPM letter came to me stating I was eligible for a Deferred Annuity. But again I found out otherwise. Worked as a DAV Service Officer for 5 years, along side the VBA at the VARO assisting vets with benefits now I can’t collect my own pension. I sent out a letter to OPM requesting a Reconsideration. But do I really have a chance?

    • When you worked for the government that second time, there was no provision in law that would have allowed you to redeposit the money you took out when you left the first time. The law later changed and provided that anyone who was on the employment rolls on or after October 28, 2009, could redeposit what they owed, plus interest, and get credit for that refunded service. Therefore, the only way you could make a redeposit is to once more be employed of the federal government in a position covered by FERS.

      • Rick Brandenburg on

        I am 57 years old and don’t have the stamina of 12 years ago. I appreciate your fast response but may have to contact a lawyer. Why does it matter when I have to repay that deposit as long as I make the payment. I did the work. I paid my Military Service Deposit which is like extorting money money from vets. Plus I ran into HR people and OPM employees who weren’t trustworthy in their advice. I have tried on three occasions to return to the VA but been denied. Why would a lady send me a OPM letter from 2013 stating I was eligible for a Deferred Annuity when I wasn’t. I have $22,500 in Thrift Savings Plan. If I cashed that how much do I get.? How much would I get back for the MSD $2900.00 and the $881.00 with interest from the FERS? Perhaps I will leave it in there until I am 60 or 62. Disgusted with Government Service.

Leave A Reply