Special retirement supplement


Q. I bought back 20 years of military time during which I paid into Social Security. What is the reason/law why it applies to the FERS pension calculations but not the special retirement supplement?

A. Only years during which your were employed under FERS can be used to compute the special retirement supplement. Years of active-duty service for which you made a deposit can’t be used in that calculation. That’s because the SRS is paid out of the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund — not the Social Security fund.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply