Miltary service credit


Q. Can military time be used to make up the 20 years when one turns 60 years old? For instance: If one began federal employment in 2000 and retired in 2018 at 60 with two years of military service.

A. Assuming that you only have two years of active duty service, the answer is yes, but only if you make a deposit of a percentage of your military basic pay to the civilian retirement system. Note that if you have more than two consecutive years of service, you’d have to make a deposit for the full amount, not just two years.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply