Retirement eligibility


Q. I’m a FERS employee with the U.S. Postal Service. I have been with USPS for 28½ years and have two years and four months of time in the military. Can I retire now and still receive my special retirement supplement, or do I have to wait until I get 30 years with USPS?

A. If you made a deposit to get credit for that period of active-duty service, you could retire now. If you didn’t, you’d either have to make a deposit for that time or wait until you have 30 years of actual civilian service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I moved into a career ladder poaition that was temporary for almost 10 months. The agency then changed it to permanent. Unfortunately i broke my back and i was cornered into quitting. I had 15 yrs 3 mths as permanent prior going there and then 11 mths as permanent at the last agency. I want to do mra +10 in a year when i hit my mra age. Is there a way to buy those 9 months as temporary back? Also i bought back my military te back at the prior agency. Is that okay ?

Leave A Reply