Leave Payout


Q. I have worked for the U.S. Postal Service for 12 years and have 935 hours of sick leave and 540 hours of annual leave. An opportunity for a city job has come up; do I get paid for my sick and annual leave if I resign?

A. While you’d be paid for your annual leave, your unused sick leave has no cash value. However, if you ever return to work for the government, the amount of sick leave you had when you left will be restored.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

  1. Also, since this person has 12 years of service already, it would be a good idea that they NOT ask for a refund of their FERS payroll contributions. Even if they don’t return to Federal Civil Service, they can apply for a FERS retirement annuity when they turn 62 and get 12% of their high 3 Federal Salary at that time. Would make sense especially if this person isn’t all that far away from age 62. Even if it’s only $250/month or so, that will be coming FOR LIFE after 62 and the total amount of the average lifetime payout via FERS annuity will be far greater than the few bucks you’ll get refunded if you cash out your FERS contributions upon separation.

Leave A Reply