FERS refund


Q. I worked for the federal government for 29 years, but I am now separated. If I decide to request a refund of my FERS retirement, how much would I get?

A. To find out how much you’d get, send your request to the following address:

Retirement Operations Center
P.O. Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017-0045

Be sure to include your full name, date of birth and Social Security number.

Before you make a decision, you need to understand that withdrawing your retirement contributions will void your right to a future annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. You should also advise this person that when they reach age 60 they can apply for a FERS Pension annuity via OPM and send them info on how to apply for a FERS Pension Annuity. This person would make far more money over the course of their life via a monthly FERS retirement check than getting a few thousand dollars as a one time payment!

Leave A Reply