Special retirement supplement reductions


Q. I was told that because I am not collecting Social Security, I would not lose the special retirement supplement. I am over the age of 57 years old and collecting the supplement. Is it true that if I make over $17,040, I will lose the SRS?

A. You were misinformed. The special retirement supplement is paid out of the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund. It was included in the legislation establishing FERS as way to bridge the gap between when a FERS employee retires and when he or she is first eligible for a Social Security benefit. To parallel the Social Security rules, it provided that anyone earning more than the annual Social Security limit will have his SRS reduced or eliminated.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply