Earnings and the SSA supplement


Q. I am 58 and have received the Social Security Administration supplement for one year. I have taken a job that will certainly push me over the $17,500 limit. When do I have to notify OPM? When do they reduce the SSA and how soon can they reinstate it if I quit the job causing me to exceed the allowable income limit?

A. You’ll find the answer to your question at https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/csrsfers-handbook/c051.pdf. Just scroll to Sections 51A3.1-1 and 51A4.1-1.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply