Withdrawing my resignation


Q. I’m a FERS employee who submitted the paperwork to retire. Now I’m having second thoughts. Can I cancel my FERS retirement application?

A. Unless your agency has a valid reason for turning you down, it must accept your request to withdraw your retirement application. If it does, it must provide that reason in writing. Valid reasons for turning down your request would include 1) the fact that someone has already been selected to fill your position or 2) your position is being abolished and no other position exists at your pay and/or grade in the local commuting area for which you are qualified.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply