Social Security contributions


Q. I’m a CSRS employee who is planning to retire. I’ll receive a lump-sum payment for unused annual leave in 2020. Can I have Social Security contributions deducted from this payment? It would be helpful if I could, because I only need a few more credits to be eligible for a Social Security benefit.

A. No, you can’t. That’s because Social Security credits can only be earned through deductions taken from wages or self-employment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Sir,
    I was in a private sector from 1997 to July 2004. I was hired in Jul 2004 as a federal employee.
    I’m under CSRS Offset. My employment in a private sector, is it included when they offset my SSA benefits?

    • At age 62 your CSRS annuity will be reduced only by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned as a CSRS Offset employee.

Reply To Ricky Cancel Reply