Social Security Administration


Q: How can I obtain a copy of my work record from the Social Security Administration?

A: If the reason for your request is to obtain information about your Social Security-covered employment, W-2s from previous years will be provided to you at no additional cost. However, if you want them for tax purposes, it will cost you $30 for each year. To request copies fill out a copy of IRS Form 4506, available at and send it to: Social Security Administration, Office of Central Operations, Division of Earnings Records Operations, P.O. Box 33003, Baltimore, MD 21290-3003. Be sure to include your Social Security number, the exact name shown on your Social Security card, and different names shown on your W-2s, your complete mailing address, the years for which you need copies, your daytime telephone number, and the reason for your request.

— Reg Jones


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply