Special retirement supplement


Q: I am anticipating retirement in July at age 60 with 21 years of service. I have been divorced for five years after a 22-year marriage. Can I draw this special retirement supplement on my ex-husband’s Social Security benefits, and if not, at what age will I be eligible to draw from his benefits? Also, where and how do I obtain a computation of what those payments are/will be?

A: If you retire at age 60 with at least 20 years of service, you will receive the special retirement supplement, which approximates the Social Security benefit you earned while employed under the Federal Employee Retirement System. The SRS ends at age 62. Because you were married to your ex-spouse for at least 10 years, you will only be able to receive a former spouse Social Security benefit at age 62 if you are 1) unmarried and 2) not entitled to a higher Social Security benefit based on your own work record.

— Reg Jones


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply