Special retirement supplement


Q: I am a Federal Employees Retirement System employee who will be 55 with 25 years of service. The U.S. Postal Service has offered a voluntary early retirement. If I retire, will I be able to collect the supplement at age 56 and who determines the amount?

A: If you accept an offer of early retirement, you will be able to receive the special retirement supplement when you reach your minimum retirement age. Your SRS will be based on the Social Security benefit you earned while employed under FERS. The amount will be determined by the Office of Personnel Management using data supplied by the Social Security Administration.

— Reg Jones


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply