Annuity reduction


Q. I am retired under the Civil Service Retirement System Offset. I left the government in 1982 after 10 years of service and withdrew my pension. I returned to work in 1985 under the offset pension and retired in 2000 after a total of 25 years of service. I am now working under Social Security in the private sector, and will have 15 years of Social Security not counting federal work at age 62 when it will be mandatory for me to collect Social Security because of early federal retirement. How will this affect my pension/Social Security? Will it be reduced?
A. As a CSRS Offset retiree, at age 62 your annuity will be reduced by the amount of Social Security benefit your earned while covered by CSRS Offset. The amount you receive will be the same, but it will come from two different sources, the Office of Personnel Management and the Social Security Administration. Any other Social Security benefit to which you are entitled based on work outside of CSRS Offset will not be affected.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply