Correcting paygrade


Q: I did not check the appropriate box for Superior Academic Achievement when I applied for my current position and was hired as a GS-05 instead of a GS-07 even though I am qualified as a GS-07. Is there any way around the bureaucracy to get my paygrade corrected?
A: The matter rests exclusively between you and your agency. You’ll have to discuss the matter with your supervisor and someone in you personnel office.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply