Deducting Part B premiums


Q: If I elect to take Medicare Part B at age 65 and I also elect to defer drawing Social Security until age 70, how will I be able to make the Medicare payments for the five-year gap since an allotment from my Social Security check will not be an option?

A: If you are retired, you can have the Part B premiums deducted from your annuity. If you are still employed, you can have them deducted from your salary. Note: If you are still employed and covered by the Federal Employees Health Benefits program, you have the option of delaying your enrollment in Part B without penalty until you retire.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply