Taxes and buying back military service


Q: I bought back four years of military service last month. If I can take this off my taxes for 2009, will it show on my W-2 forms and leave and earnings statement?

A: No, you can’t take it off your taxes and it won’t show up on either your W-2 or your leave and earnings statement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply