Repaying retirement


Q. Is there a bill in progress to assist federal employees with repaying their FERS retirement for years of service who withdrew funds and then returned to government service?

A. I’m not sure what you are asking. If you want to know if it is now possible for an employee to repay the amount of FERS retirement contributions that were refunded to them when they left government, the answer is yes. The law changed on Oct. 28, 2009 to make that possible. If you are asking if the government has a program that would financially assist employees who want to redeposit that money, the answer is no.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply