Will military service affect supplement?


Q: My question is regarding Social Security supplements. I am a 50-year-old law enforcement officer who has met my 20 years of civilian government service. I know that when I am eligible to apply for Social Security benefits, I will be asked for proof of my military service (via DD 214). I am being told that if I give Social Security proof of my service at retirement time, I will get extra on my Social Security supplement in the meantime. Is there any truth to that?

A: No. The special retirement supplement is based solely on a retiree’s total years and full months of Federal Employees Retirement System employment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply