Applying for SSI


Q: I retired under a medical retirement. I am married and got my Federal Employees Retirement System and Social Security Disability Insurance. If this combined income is not enough to live on, is it possible for me to apply for Supplemental Security Income for my spouse and myself?

A: You can always apply for Supplemental Security Income. Whether your request would be approved depends on a number of factors. I suggest that you go to the Social Security Administration website at and review the criteria. Information about how to apply for benefits is also provided on that site.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply