Federal service after CSRS retirement


Q. What are the conditions that govern federal employment after CSRS retirement?  I am planning on retiring soon with 32 years and may have an opportunity to work part  time for the agency I am currently employed  with. (Department of Veterans Affairs).

A. Unless you are hired into one of those rare positions that would allow you to receive both your annuity and the full salary of your new job, the salary of that job would be offset by the amount of your annuity. For example, if your annuity was $50,000 and the salary of your new job was $80,000, you’d only receive a salary of $30,000.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply