Annuity supplement


Q. I’m in a LEO job 26 years, 51 years old.  (started when I was 25).  If I retire now, I’m entitled to the supplement (provided by OPM, not Social Security),  yet it is computed on my 26 years of federal service divided by 40. My question is what happens to my five years of Social Security service prior to my 26 more years of SSA service?

A. The special retirement supplement is designed to approximates the Social Security benefit you earned while employed under FERS and is paid out of the civil service retirement fund. While non-FERS Social Security-covered service can’t be included in that computation, it will be when you become eligible for a Social Security benefit


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply