Buyback into CSRS


Q. I was employed by the Defense Department from 1961-1966 and then by the NSA from 1966-1975. I took a lump-sum payout of the retirement benefit at that time. I am now 67 years old. Is there any option to buy back into the system?

A. You would only be able to do that if you went back to work for the federal government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply