Lateral transfer from excepted service


Q. I had interviewed for a competitive Civil Service position in another agency.  If I were selected, could I transfer my 25 years of excepted Civil Service (including accrued leave) into that position? Both my current and prospective positions are GS-6.

A. As a rule, the answer is yes. However, if you are offered a position in another agency, you should check with them to be sure it’s true in your case before accepting the position.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply