Military time


Q. I spent 14 years and 8 months in the military I am now seeking a federal job. If I am employed by the federal government will this time count toward retirement automatically or is there some process I would have to go through?

A. To get credit for your period of active duty service, you would have to make a deposit to the civilian retirement system. The deposit equals a percentage of your military base pay, not including allowances or differentials.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply