Q. I am 52 years old and am under the CSRS retirement system. My SCD is June 5, 1978. I am ready to retire. I am willing to take any type of retirement that I can get. I don’t mind if there is no incentive offered. I have 32 years and three months. I have heard of a type of retirement system that can be offered if your position is abolished or if your position is being moved to another location. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

A. You are referring to the Voluntary Early Retirement Authority, which an agency may use (with OPM approval) if it is undergoing such things as a reduction-in-force or reorganization. Even then, offers of early retirement must be tailored to the needs of the organization, which means that they are usually confined to specific occupations and grade levels in particular activities and locations


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply