FERS disability retirement and VA IU compensation


Q. I served in the Army for 14 years, separated medically with severance.  I was rated by the VA C&P as 80 percent service-connected.  I hired into the Defense Department as a as a civilian and worked 10 years. I did buy back my military time. In March 2010, I was disabled and retired from my position as a WG 12.  I was only disabled for that position as stated by OPM.  I assume that means I’m not considered permanent and total by OPM and if I can find someone in government to rehire me I can go back to work.  Social Security denied my claim since OPM says I can work in another series.  I am not in receipt of Social Security Disability Insurance. I have applied for VA Individual Unemployability/P&T compensation and am likely to be awarded IU comp. How is the 100 percent IU payment effected by my civil service disability annuity or vice versa?

A. They aren’t connected in any way. You may continue to receive both.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply