Pay CSRS redeposit from pre-tax IRA funds?


Q. I was employed in temporary positions with the federal government from 1972 through 1974. During that period, I accumulated two full-time years of federal service during which I paid in only to Social Security. OPM says my CSRS redeposit amount for those two years is $5,334.  I would like to pay this amount using “pre-tax” dollars from an old IRA.  Is this possible? How do I do the custodial transfer? OPM just seems to want a check.

A. Paying by check is your only option


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply