Retirement contributions


Q. I have recently retired and understand that a portion of my annuity is tax-free when filing my federal tax return next year. Per the OPM website calculator to determine the tax-free amount, a person needs to know the total amount of retirement withholdings from their paychecks over their career. How do you obtain this figure, as my paystubs while working did not show an accumulated amount for retirement withholdings?

A. You will receive that information on a Form 1099-R, which will be sent to you each January by OPM.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply