Use-or-lose leave


Q. I have accepted a new position at another federal agency in another state. This position is a promotion. I currently have 66 hours of use-or-lose leave that was scheduled to the end of the year with my current agency. Can my current agency pay me for this use-or-lose leave since I will not be able to take it before departing?

A. No. Your entire leave balance will transfer with you to your new agency.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply